You can already make phone calls over WiFi on the Nexus 7 tablet using an app such as Groove IP, but how about making phone calls? That’s now possible with a little bit of modification that looks more complex than it really is. Forum user bongostl has posted this how-to guide over at XDA Developers and says it takes only about 15 minutes and results in better voice quality than Groove IP. This method should work on pretty much any configuration or ROM, the full guide is below:
Step one: configure incoming:
1) set up a free app account (i use callcentric)
2) setup a free incoming phone number (i use ipkall.com). (note:server is in.callcentric.com) to connect to your sip account
3) setup a sip app on your tablet (i like csipsimple…. Free in the play store) and connect it to your callcentric, account (user name is your callcentric number… Should start with 1777)
4) go to Google voice on your computer, go to settings, and add a new number. Add the number you registered with ipkall. It will call and confirm you. It should ring through to your tablet! You now will receive incoming calls to your tablet!
Now, let’s get you set up for outgoing calls.
1) download voice+ from the play store and connect it to your Google voice account.
2) download exdialer from the play store (dialer one doesn’t work… I don’t know why)
Now what you need to do is modify your framework-res.apk to make the tablet think that it is voice capable so that voice+ will be triggered when you make a call.
so, here is what you need to do:\
1) download the framework-res editor that is attached here and unzip it
2) copy your framework-res.apk from your ROM (found in the /system/framework folder) and put it in the ‘place-framework-res-here’ folder
3) double click on ‘run me’ and recompile your framework-res
4) in the ‘files-to-edit’ folder, click on framework-res.apk>res>values>bools (edit the bools.xml file)
5) find the line false and change ‘false’ to ‘true’. save and close the file
6) in the framework Flasher that you opened in step 3, choose ’2′ and compile a new apk
7) choose option ’3′ and sign the apk.
8) choose option 4 and create an update.zip
9)flash the update.zip that you made
Congrats, your Nexus 7 tablet is now a fully capable as a phone. Just don’t try to hold it up to your head or you might look a bit foolish.
[via XDA Developers]