T-Mobile has started their OTA rollout of the Android 1.6 Donut update. We’ve all been anxiously waiting, but if you don’t feel like waiting anymore, here’s how to do the update manually:
- Download the update file here for the G1. And here for the myTouch 3G.
- Rename the file update.zip and copy it to the root directory of your SD card. If you are on Windows and have file extensions hidden, then just name it update.
- After the file is copied, unmount the SD card and turn off you phone. Turn it back on by holding HOME+END.
- It will boot into a special update screen, then press Alt+S to apply the update from your SD card.
- Wait till it finishes, then hit HOME+BACK to reboot
- The bootup will take longer than normal, just let it finish.
- Enjoy some tasty Donuts!
A quick note, you do not have to have your phone rooted to update, but if you are rooted, this update will lose your root access. Questions, comments, issues? Let us know in the comments.
UPDATE: A reader wrote in with the process for myTouch owners:
There is no need to root or flash from a computer and upgrading is just as easy as with the G1. Put the update.zip file on the SD card, hold home+power until you get to the screen with the exclamation mark in a triangle. Once at that screen just press home+power again. It will take you to the recovery screen where you can use the trackball to to select “update from sd card”.