Yeah, I got this from one of the Blackberry blogs I still read. But it’s good all around advice for owners of expensive phones. I know first, second, and third-hand how horrible it can be if your $400+ smartphone gets water (or other liquid) spilled on it. Or even worse, dunked in water.
- 1. Pull out the battery. (Some also recommend pulling the SIM)
- 2. Put your device near sunlight.
- 3. Rotate your device so all sides get sunlight.
- 4. Leave it near sunlight for 24 hours. Some suggest in a bowl of uncooked rice or with silica gel packs.
- 5. Do NOT put your battery back until the 24 hours are up.
- 6. After 24 hours, put the battery back in and power on.
Yes, the bowl of rice trick does work. A friend of mine got drunk and dropped her Blackberry in the sink, over night in a cup of uncooked rice brought it back to life. If this doesn’t work for you, hope you have insurance on your phone, suck it up and pay the deductible. And don’t try and sucker you way out with a warranty claim, your carrier will find out. It’s not hard to tell if a phone has been water damaged. And above all, just be careful around water!